Senator receives update on facility he helped make a reality, sends letter to VA and Transpo to ensure they work together on providing transportation for local veterans to new cente
Mishawaka, Ind. – (RealEstateRama) — U.S. Senator Joe Donnelly yesterday visited the construction site of the future St. Joseph County Health Care Center. Donnelly toured the site as construction continues and spoke with the leadership of the VA’s Northern Indiana Health Care System (VANIHCS) to get an update on the facility, which is scheduled to open in September 2017. Donnelly has worked to make the St. Joseph County Health Center a reality since he started serving in the House of Representatives in 2007.
Donnelly, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said, “I have worked for nearly a decade to make the St. Joseph County Health Care Center a reality, and I wanted to see firsthand the progress being made. This facility will give veterans across north central Indiana expanded options to receive the quality health care they earned through their service to our nation.”
Senator Donnelly at the St. Joseph County Health Care Center site today.
Donnelly also sent a letter Thursday to Transpo and the VA of Northern Indiana Health Care System asking that they work together to ensure that South Bend and Mishawaka-area veterans are able to access reliable public transportation to the new Health Care Center when it opens in 2017. The Center is expected to create 150 permanent jobs.
Background on Donnelly’s work on the St. Joseph County Health Care Center:
- In 2007, while serving in the U.S. House of Representatives, Donnelly first asked the VA to evaluate the services provided to South Bend area veterans and provide data to better understand how often, how far, and for what services local Hoosier veterans must travel to receive health care.
- Donnelly held roundtables and meetings with veterans, advocates, and community leaders to discuss expanding veterans’ services in St. Joseph County.
- In 2009, Donnelly and then-VA Secretary Eric Shinseki announced approval of the St. Joseph County Health Care Center.
- Donnelly worked with his colleagues, Republican and Democratic, to secure congressional authorization and funding for the center, and then worked with the VA to open an interim health care center in South Bend in 2012.
- Donnelly participated in the groundbreaking for the Health Care Center in 2015.